Monday, January 9, 2017

2017-01-04: First day in the gym

Signed up for SATS in Akersgata.  They've got a nice powerlifting area.  Nice, but not perfect.  The racks are nice - and does in theory have spotter bars.  The spotter bars, however, are in horrible condition and the bars rolls towards the end - whereupon the bars collapse to the floor.

I'll need to have a conversation with them about this, as it's clearly a safety issue.  You don't want 150kg dropping onto your back if/when you fail a squat.  Luckily I was not under the bar when it kaboommed onto the floor.  I was testing the setup as I felt it wasn't entirely safe - and howdy-do it wasn't.

Also of note: I've got a new lifting buddy!

Today's lifts

Barbell Squats

5x20kg
5x40kg
3x60kg
3x80kg
3x100kg
3x120kg
2x1x140kg

Overhead Press

5x20kg
5x40kg
2x5x60kg
4x60kg

Ohh.  I'm regressing.  Need to focus on OHP.  Not managing 5x5x60kg isn't ideal.  However, I want to have spotter bars at shoulder height to dump on, and it was while doing these I realized the spotter bars are really shoddy.

Deadlifts

5x60kg
5x80kg
3x100kg
1x120kg
1x140kg
5x140kg

Was a bit disappointed as the plates are humongous.  Couldn't fit more than 140kg onto the barbells.  This, as I discovered in the next session turns out to be because I didn't look enough for thinner plates.  There are plenty available.  


No comments:

Post a Comment